Start Your Day with Sun Salutations
When it’s cold outside, Sun Salutations are a great way to warm up & awaken the body, improve spinal mobility & gain clarity & energy for the day ahead.
Try this sequence 5-10 times each morning to have you feeling toasty & seeing the bright side of life:
- Starting in Tadasna with feet hip distance apart.
- Inhale to sweep hands overhead to prayer
- Exhale to hinge from the hips with a bend in knees to fold forward
- Inhale to your halfway lift with flat back & broad shoulders
- Exhale plant both palms on the mat, step back to plank on your knees or toes (holding here for 1-3 breaths)
- Inhale to hold
- Exhale to chaturunga for 3 counts down
- Inhale to baby cobra, cobra or updog as you lift the chest & open your heart (you choose what feels right for you )
- Exhale to downward facing dog (holding here for 5 breaths, maybe walking through the feet, nodding the head, finding length here however feels right)
- Inhale to bend the knees, get springy & look forward
- Exhale to step, jog or float to top of mat
- Inhale to half way lift
- Exhale to fold forward
- Inhale press firmly through all 4 corners of the feet to sweep hands overhead to marry them in prayer
- Exhale return hands to heart in Tadasana.
Smile, breath & then repeat.